I absolutely love avocados and add them to anything I can. This incredibly nutritious fruit is high in healthy fats, fiber and an array of vitamins (C,B,K and E) making them a staple in any health conscious diet. With such a creamy and mild taste they’re fantastic on toast, as a cheese or cream replacement and my personal favourite way, as a pasta sauce.
We all know that feeling of getting home after a long day at work and thinking ‘I just cannot be bothered to cook’. It’s time consuming and if you’re not in the mood it’s a boring chore. Right about then is when the take away menus start to come out of the drawer, or that frozen pizza gets unwrapped. It’s quick, easy and hassle free but always leaves me feeling bloated, uncomfortable and generally disappointed with my food. That’s why I’m on a mission to find quick and easy meals I can make after work that don’t compromise convenience over health.
As you can imagine I was very excited when I found out about a pasta recipe that combines my love for all things avocado and my need for a speedy dinner. After a couple of tweaks to my initial attempt and the hallelujah moment of adding red wine vinegar, I can honestly say this is one of my favourite meals and you can whip it up in just 15 minutes!
Serves 2 people
- 2 Servings of dried wholegrain spaghetti (roughly 75g per person)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 handful of roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 cap full of red wine vinegar
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 table spoons of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters
- Bring to the boil a pan of salted water, add the dried pasta and cook according to the packet instructions.
- In the meantime scoop out the flesh of the avocado into a food processor and add the basil, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, water and salt and pepper to taste.
- Process until smooth. I like the sauce to be thick and creamy but feel free to add a little more water if you want a thinner consistency.
- Chop up your cherry tomatoes and set aside until the end.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained combine the pasta and avocado sauce making sure to mix well until all the pasta is coated.
- Add your cherry tomatoes and serve with fresh basil to garnish and a squeeze of lemon.
Top Tip – Try adding a fillet of any white fish for a bit of a protein boost.
Let me know if you if you give this recipe a go and what are some of your favourite quick and easy healthy meals.
Thanks, Megan x