When it comes to eating healthy I love convenience food that’s quick and easy to make but doesn’t compromise health over taste. These super simple bean wraps were inspired by my love of a good burrito and the need to find a healthier less calorie dense alternative. It also stems from my short stint as a vegetarian where I learnt to remake my favourite meals as veggie alternatives. If you’re looking for a great way to cram a lot of veggies into your diet a meat free day every week is a fantastic little challenge you can try.
The wraps can be thrown together with just a few cupboard essentials making it the perfect after work dinner and they’re incredibly filling leaving you feeling satisfied and helping to keep those late night cravings at bay. Jam packed with beans they offer a great protein kick and you can easily tailor the flavour to be as mild or spicy as you please.
The fantastic thing about this dish is there’s always plenty of leftovers making it perfect for next day lunches or you can keep it in the freezer as a backup healthy meal for those nights that you just don’t have the time or the energy to cook.
For the wraps
- Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 stock cube (beef or vegetable) dissolved in 100ml of boiling water
- 1 tin of kidney beans drained
- 1 tin butter beans drained
- 1 packet of fajita spice mix
- Packet of wholemeal wraps
- Handful of grated cheese (optional)
For the super simple guacamole (optional)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a low – medium heat.
- Add the onions and fry for 3- 4 minutes until soft and slightly translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a further 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat down if needed as you don’t want to burn the garlic.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, beans and stir in the fajita mix. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off leaving you with a thick bean filling.
- In the meantime make the super simple guacamole by scooping out the flesh of a large avocado into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and mash the two together using a fork. Once you have a smooth creamy consistency add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the bean filling is ready heat up your wraps in the microwave for around 30 seconds and add two – 3 Tbsp of bean filling to each wrap. Top with guacamole and cheese if you wish and fold over into a wrap. Serve immediately.
Let me know if you give this recipe a go and feel free to share some of your healthy after work dinners in the comments below.
Thanks, Megan x