It’s the ultimate in indulgence but it doesn’t have to be one that leaves you feeling guilty. These super chocolaty protein balls are a favourite of mine and they really hit the spot when it comes to those pesky late night cravings. Plus they come with the added health benefits of dark chocolate which is high in fibre and has been linked to lowered blood pressure and the benefits of goji berries. These little guys pack an incredible vitamin A punch and are high in antioxidants which are great for your skin and eyes. So go on, have one (or three, or four)!
- 2 large squares of dark chocolate (75% or higher)
- 50g Oats
- Tbsp Honey/Maple syrup
- Tbsp Dried goji berries
- 10 Dried pitted dates
- 1-2 scoops of chocolate protein powder
- Place the dark chocolate in a microwavable bowl and microwave until melted, around 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the chocolate or it will become very bitter.
- Place the melted chocolate and the rest of the ingredients into a small blender and blend until it comes together as a dough.
- If it is very sticky you can add some more protein powder or leave to rest. The longer you leave to rest the less sticky the mixture will become.
- Sprinkle a little cocoa/protein powder over a work surface and roll a tablespoon amount of the mixture between your hands and the board to create a ball. Repeat this with the rest of the mixture.
- Leave the protein balls to rest for around 10 minutes to harden and then enjoy.
*These will keep fresh in the fridge for around a week so they make great work snacks!
Let me know if you give these a go and what you think. They’re really chocolaty!